- 1 How to become a locksmith
- 2 Educational requirements on what it takes to become a locksmith
- 2.1 1. A good locksmith must have a mechanical background
- 2.2 2. A good locksmith must love to discover new things
- 2.3 3. A good locksmith must have a thinkable mind
- 2.4 4. As a good locksmith, you must be vigilant and always on the move
- 2.5 5. A good locksmith must always be ready to find out new things
- 2.6 6. A locksmith doesn’t say no!
- 2.7 7. A good locksmith must be patient
- 2.8 8. A good locksmith must be sociable
- 2.9 9. A good locksmith should love hacking
- 2.10 10. A good locksmith must have foresight
- 3 What are the things I need to becoming great locksmith?
- 4 What does it take to become a locksmith – Benefits of being a locksmith
- 5 How to keep the job standard
- 6 How profitable is locksmith business?
- 7 Important tools needed by a locksmith
How to become a locksmith
What does it take to become a locksmith even? Firstly, you must know who a locksmith is when trying to become one. Locksmith deals with locks and keys. A locksmith also help people who are locked out of their homes, businesses and vehicles.
Locksmiths rely on a wide range of skills, and improving these skills will allow you to have a more successful career.
Educational requirements on what it takes to become a locksmith
Locksmiths schools and training programs are located across the world. To become a locksmith, there are some professional training you must complete. That will make you a certified locksmith. Becoming a locksmith also requires a certain level of apprentice experience.
A locksmith must be familiar with or know different types of locks and keys. A wide range of experience helps in the field of becoming a locksmith, your knowledge of the job helps with fulfilling your career. Aside from the skills learned, there are some characteristics an excellent locksmith must have or possess.
1. A good locksmith must have a mechanical background
As a locksmith, you must be practical, persistent and mechanical. Mechanical people love to work with their hands. If you don’t love working with your hand as an intending locksmith, then you definitely may not excel as a locksmith.
2. A good locksmith must love to discover new things
As a locksmith, you must be vast in knowledge and be reasonable. A locksmith view every task as a challenge and they step up to always find a solution to every problem. If the thought of something that is broken into pieces gives you a rush, then, you must think of the very possible way to get them fixed. As a locksmith, challenges are always something you should defeat or overcome. The harder the challenge, the more you should enjoy it.
3. A good locksmith must have a thinkable mind
They must think wide and picture the impossible. As a locksmith, you must always have to constantly think in the line or way of a locksmith, a home owner, a child or even a burglar.
Your job as a locksmith is to provide solutions to lock out problems and also help home security. A good locksmith must always be ready to accept and be open to trying new methods to solving issues that are strictly attached to one way of exploring and trying new techniques which qualifies you to become a locksmith.
4. As a good locksmith, you must be vigilant and always on the move
A lot of locksmiths function best when everyone else is asleep. As a locksmith, you must have a nature of business demands. Some customers suffer lockouts late at high/odd hours and this is why as, a locksmith, you must be ready for any emergency.
5. A good locksmith must always be ready to find out new things
A locksmith must have a natural mind to investigate and constantly question the way things work and find out why it is that way. In addition to understanding how things and mechanics work, a locksmith need to be able to accurately judge a situation and know the right questions to ask.
6. A locksmith doesn’t say no!
As a locksmith, you’re like a medical doctor who responds to patients at any time of the day. That is why, as a locksmith, you must always keep up with technological advancement.
In a case where you find yourself in a place where a person is being locked out and you don’t have the required tools at that moment in time. It is important to have locksmiths that are willing to say “Yes”.
7. A good locksmith must be patient
Patience is a virtue that every man needs or need to posses. A locksmith need to have that virtue in double doses. Picking a lock is not easy and sometimes it takes a good amount of time and commitment to make sure that the mechanism is done rightly and not broken in the process. In all learning, learn patience!
8. A good locksmith must be sociable
As a locksmith, you must adapt a friendly life style. The reason for this, is because the people or your customers feel at ease with you.
When you’re sociable as a locksmith, you put your customers at ease especially when a parent or someone is stuck being a locked door and your attitude helps to calm down or upset the situation. Being sensitive helps your customers feel a lot comfortable and it makes your job a lot easier.
9. A good locksmith should love hacking
A good locksmith should have a love for hacking things. Hacking and tinkering essentially operate on the principle of trying to understand how something works.
If a locksmith doesn’t know how to bypass things or hack things,it’ll be hard for him to stay abreast with the changes that the locksmith industry is currently facing and for future purposes.
10. A good locksmith must have foresight
As a locksmith, you must have the ability to think ahead of the curve. If you were always that person who is always one step ahead of everybody else and could avoid some things before they happened, you might just be that amazing locksmith. Foresight will always help you to anticipate the changes that are coming.
What are the things I need to becoming great locksmith?
As a locksmith, you must be:
This is the first and primary step to most professions or skilled trade which requires education in some forms. A formal education may not be required in becoming a locksmith, but an extensive training and apprenticeship are useful in becoming a certified locksmith.
2. Certified and licensed:
Certification is not really required to work as a locksmith. But, getting a certification is important to increase your credibility. A certification also boost your earning potential.
As a locksmith, your being licenced is also important because your industry has to be known to do security and lock works. Also,you must be cleared of any criminal history or case,reason being that, people or customers ensure you with their security. It would also be required of you to become a member of a professional trade organizations and local organizations to promote your business.
3. Different fields in locksmithing
As a locksmith, you may want to consider looking out for different fields you’ll like to venture into:
They handle all home security and locks such as:- lost keys to lock repair, installation of master systems, duplicating keys.
They usually work in schools, commercial buildings, offices to install locks,advanced locks,security systems. They also install key control systems, restricted key systems, magnetic locks, keyless entry.
3. Auto locksmith
They are specialized in car and trunk systems. They duplicate car keys, replace lost keys, get broken keys out of a vehicle’s ignition and smart car keys.
4. Municipal locksmith
They are often employed by government sectors to replace and repair locks in public buildings, court houses, schools and jails.
5. Forensic locksmith
They work with law enforcement agencies to unravel clues. They usually work with investigative authorities to determine how a lock at a crime scene was broken into and they also gather evidence about how a security system was breached to help the police.
What does it take to become a locksmith – Benefits of being a locksmith
There are many benefits of being a trained and certified locksmith
1. A locksmith has different types of tools and machinery in key cutting and drills.
2. They have deep knowledge on different types of locking systems and hardware.
3. They possess a problem solving skills wherever they find themselves.
4. They have a good communication relationship with their clients.
5. They have adequate manual dexterity to manage or use tools to manipulate different locking mechanism.
6. They have a wide range of knowledge and skills.
7. They discover different aspects of locksmith.
8. They build \ develop good relationships with successful locksmiths in their area.
In locksmith, there are pros and cons of being a locksmith
– a locksmith improve the security and safety of their clients.
– they develop a trade that is useful to many.
– they solve a lot of problems.
– they have many job opportunities.
– as a locksmith, you must remain focused while doing detailed and sensitive work.
– a locksmith should be ready to perform so many outdoor jobs in all weather conditions.
– a locksmith must have a good communication and friendly skill to calm a distress customer.
– as a locksmith, you should not always expect a big pay. Times,places and people differ and their types of job also differs.
As a locksmith, you don’t have your own set-time for your job, the reason is because you can be called on at anytime of the day for a job. A locksmith provides a vital service to their customers, when a customers house is secure and they are at ease, they owe it to the locksmith.
How to keep the job standard
A locksmith must be willing to grow and learn new skills every time. As a locksmith, you must be willing to attend convention and training in order to keep up with the pace and develop more skills. Just as times has changed over the years, so security products has changed also. As the security industry changes, progressive locksmith must also be willing to change in order to stay and remain relevant.
Locksmiths earnings increase with the quality of services they render or offer and the constant assurance, credibility and substantial services they render to their customers. The experiences you have or gained could also help you earn more.
Different locksmiths have different services they render and their approaches also differs. Some charge extra outside the normal working hours and some others don’t.
Important tools needed by a locksmith
As a locksmith,there are some necessary tools that can make your work easy. Knowing the tools and the right one to use is of a great importance.
The proper tools makes each job to be done accurately and properly. The use of a wrong tool can damage your work and stress you out and cause unnecessary time waste.
Here are essential tools for every locksmiths:
1. Tension tools
This tool has pins inside and are very tiny, they are placed with extreme precision. It is important for a locksmith to be able to hold the cylindrical part of a lock while still racking the pins. This tool is essential especially for those who work on pin tumbler locks.
2. Key extractors
Key extractors is a long thin piece of metal which is used in retrieving a broken portion of a key from the lock.
Key extractors are very valuable especially when you are faced with a broken key off in a lock.
3. Plug spinners
This a known locksmith tool which saves time and aggravation both for the person working on the locks and the person who needs to know what is in the other side of the lock. If a key is turned in a wrong direction and gets studied, a plug spinner can be attached and rotate the plug quickly. A plug spinner also free up locks.
4. Pick gun
A pick gun picks out a pin from a lock. In a situation whereby there’s a pin obstructing the lock, a small steel rod is put back into a lock, the lock gun then hits all of the locking pins at the same direction.
5. Key machine
A key machine enables a locksmith cut a proper key well. The type of machine needed depends on the type of locks or job that is being carried out. Ilco 045 performance series manual operation model is an example of a key machine.
In conclusion, you must be innovative as a locksmith and learn to improvise materials in times of emergency.
Choosing locksmith as a career is a great choice because what you do to save lives and help individuals in need is more than a community service. Locksmith is a vocation that will remain as relevant as day and night.
Don’t just become any locksmith, become the BEST!