In this video shared by Mr Terry Whin-Yates also known as Mr Locksmith, he explained the top 9 locksmith tools for beginners.
For those interested in knowing basic stuff about locksmith tools, especially beginners and house owners who intendf to DIY instead of paying professional locksmiths, this is the best video you will see in a long time.
For the beginners, to be able to learn how to use locksmith, you need to keep it simple by buying basic locksmith tools and you can add on your experience as time goes on. Learning the basics of locksmith should not take more than two months, and then you get hands-on experience, which will increase as time goes on and as you get more jobs done.
Let’s get to the top 10 locksmith tools for beginners then:
1. Tweezers: You can get tweezers for cheap at your local locksmith supply place. Tweezers are important tools because you will surely need them for REKEYING locks.
2.A Follower: Follower also help to rekey locks and pull apart.It is really great kit that should be in your locksmith work tool as a beginner.
3. End Cap Removal tool: This is used to remove the end cap for a lot of popular locks. It has two ends.
4. Kwikset cylinder removal tool: This helps a beginner if kwikset is being worked on. The Kwikset removal tool is a definite must have tool for all kwikset beginner locksmiths.
5. The Key guage: Different manufacturers definitely use manufacture different key guages, so you need to find the particular key guage that works for you just before you buy.
6. Shims: The shim is a simple and cheap tool that helps you to disassemble your locks when you don’t have key.
7. Pickset: You only need a set of pickset as you climb the ladder of your locksmith career.
8. Pinkit: It is advisable to get yourself a lab pinkit which comes in two styles; 005 and 003. The Pin kit helps to rekey over 90-95% of common residential locks.
9. Work mat: It is also good for rekeying.
See the video of all you need below: