Angie’s List explained a locksmith in the residential locksmith services as a professional worker who is very knowledgeable in entry systems such as locks, door knobs, and other security features.
In lay man’s term, a locksmith is basically a skilled individual who specializes in installing and repairing locks in houses, office buildings, cars etc and also provides emergency solutions and services to those who are locked out of their homes or cars. This profession is one of the oldest crafts in the world, so old, it is dated as far back as 4000 years ago and can be traced to Ancient Egypt and Babylon. Back in those days, locks were made out of wood, were much larger and contained a set of pins that required a key that looks so much like an oversized wooden toothbrush to be unlocked. These wooden locks were used up until the 10th century where it was replaced by metal locks and this led to significant advancement in the locksmith trade.
Historically, locksmiths only actually made locks for the community and a lot of them were blacksmiths or metal workers who began specializing in making locks. The name locksmith was hence, coined from the emergence of blacksmiths producing locks by which they are called today.
Over time, as the need for effective security system arose as well as advancement in technology and more, with the need to mass produce locks to meet up with demands, the duties of a locksmith changed and they stopped making locks for everyone but started offering other services like installation of security systems for homes, offices and cars, duplicate and fabricate keys, provide consultation on security systems and so much more.
In a nutshell, locksmiths became experts in lock installation, repairing as well as making keys, designing and building custom safes and other security devices for everyone and for commercial , automotive and residential purposes.
In present day, they operate out of a workshop, mostly out of a mobile locksmithing van and can be found almost everywhere in every city across the country.
Locksmiths provide a wide range of services relating to locks and security, and there are three main types of locksmiths: residential, automotive (relating to cars) and commercial. Each of these are focused on a specialized niche to meet customer’s needs even more effectively and adequately. For the purpose of this article, we will be focused on the services rendered by a residential locksmith.
Residential locksmiths are trained in home security and all types of locks used in and around a home. If you have any problems with your locks, need to change your locks or are locked out of your home, a residential locksmith is who you should call. They are specialized in handling everything about locks and security system for your home and these are some of the important things you need to know about residential locksmith services:
What They Do:
As we have been made to believe (a major misconception surrounding the profession), locksmiths don’t just install and pick locks, they do so much more and listed below are some of the services rendered by a residential locksmith:
1. Key Cutting – a good residential locksmith will be able to cut keys for any type of lock; cabinet, garage, back door, padlocks etc. This can be done either by making copies of your existing key or by creating a new key to match your lock, especially if you don’t have any spare key left.
2. Repairing or Replacing Damaged Lock Hardware: a residential locksmith accesses the damaged locks and determines whether it can be fixed. If it cannot be repaired, they will offer to replace it and sometimes, sell the replacement hardware as well to you or help you purchase one.
3. Lock Installation: a residential locksmith installs new locking devices on your doors and windows. They also make recommendations for the best type of locks and handles to you and sometimes sell them to you or help you make a purchase.
4. Emergency Domestic Lockout Assistance: Locksmiths are most needed during a lockout. You know that dreadful moment when you realise you’ve misplaced your keys of you have locked them in by mistake and you really want to panic?! A locksmith is your knight in shining armor as they are trained to expertly pick a lock so you can get in. However, where the key needs to be damaged to enter into your home, a locksmith is equally who you need as they can also repair the locks immediately after getting you in.
5. Rekeying Locks: Rekeying is one of the most disturbing effective ways to replacing your locks. A locksmith changes the way the pins and springs are configured inside a lock in a way that the original key no longer opens it. The locksmiths cuts new matching keys for the locks and they are fixed back. Viola, you have an almost as new lock.
6. Security Safe Services: Locksmiths can open and repair safes and equally supply, install and move large vaults and security safes in your homes.
These services are not limited to what a residential locksmith can offer, they do so much more like door installation, sales and crafting specific lock hardware. They also keep records of the types of locks used in a building where replacement or repair work has been undertaken as well any other relevant information. Often times, a locksmith who installs locks in a building is often retainer as the residence’s default locksmith because he is more familiar with the building’s locks, after all, he installed them.
The Duties And Responsibilities Of A Residential Locksmith:
Some of the duties and responsibilities of residential locksmith services include:
- A locksmith assists clients in unlocking their doors when keys are lost especially during emergencies
- Residential locksmith services advertisies security lock systems, legless entry locks, key control systems, window bars and heavy window or door deadbolts
- A locksmith must have adequate market knowledge about locks and security systems in order to advise his clients appropriately
- He must be able to create keys from code
- He must be able to replace or repair damaged components of entrance or exit doors
- He must be able to adequately examine mechanisms and fabricate keys to replace lost or damaged keys
- Change lock combinations on safe and must be able to open safes when combination is unknown and repair the locks when necessary
- A locksmith basically should be able to salvage a horrible lock out situation and make his clients feel comfortable
Every locksmith should make the security system or locking system of your home easier and not complicated. You should be able to feel safer after every lock installation or repair or replacement done by your locksmith.