- 1 How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – Tips on Hiring a Locksmith
- 2 How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – Changing Locks
- 3 How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – High Tech Keys & Biometrics
- 4 How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – Emergency Needs
How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – How much locksmiths charge to unlock a door is a question that has probably crossed your mind if you have ever found yourself in a lockout situation and at that time it doesn’t matter whether you are locked out of your home, office or car all that will keep ringing in your head is how to get out of the uncomfortable situation you just put yourself in by being a little careless and that is where locksmiths come in, as trained professionals, they are your best bet when it comes to getting your locks to open hassle free without any form of damage as against doing it all by yourself which in most cases will even worsen your situation as you will end up losing valuable time, causing even more damage to your property and paying more for a service that could have cost less because you relied on your own non-existing knowledge about locks instead of leaving it for the professionals to handle.
How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – Tips on Hiring a Locksmith
On an average, locksmith cost to unlock a house is usually around $153 but due to regional differences and all other factors that might affect pricing in a good way or otherwise, the average fee of a locksmith ranges from $96 to $210 depending on the type of re-entry service you are in need of at the moment.
Hiring a locksmith to help unlock your door might seem like an easy task until you find yourself in that compromising situation where you are locked out of your car and you can’t leave it there and go your way, locked out of your home, no other means of entry and you can’t sleep outside or you are locked out of your office and you just can’t skip work/decide not to open for business because of that, that moment is when you realize there are a lot of things to consider before hiring a locksmith as various options would cross your mind alongside questions you cannot answer all by yourself. This reason is why we have compiled a guide on locksmith cost to unlock a house and they are as follows;
- Checking your phone for a list of locksmiths around the corner might seem like the ideal thing to do but you need to be careful as most ads on the internet claiming to be locals might end up not being in your locality at all or even worse they might be all out to exploit you of your money as they understand your desperation and they are ready to key into that to milk you dry of your hard earned cash. To get around this is usually easy, once you place a call through to a locksmithing workshop and the person on the other end of the call answers with a phrase like “locksmith services” instead of being specific about the name of the locksmithing firm, hold it right there, end the call and lookup for the contact of an entirely different locksmithing firm/workshop.
- You should not in any way limit your search or settle for less because you are in a tight corner and you are starting to get desperate, instead, you should call as many locksmiths as possible so as to get different rates and settle for the average. You should also try as much as possible to detail your problem and ask for help on what needs to be done.
- You should get inquisitive with whoever it is on the other end of the phone, you need to ask questions to ensure your own safety and that is why you need to ask about their training, previous jobs they had undertaken, their license to work on locks and if there would be any additional charges when they get on site or not.
- The locksmith you want to opt for should not be one that is archaic and still live in his past where what he only knows how to do is change locks and pick one, he should be someone that is well versed in how modern technology works and he knows his way around advanced security systems that can help to better secure your properties.
- During a lockout situation, in your search for a locksmith, as highlighted earlier, you should endeavor to ask about what the locksmith thinks will be the solution to your lockout situation, if the locksmith is suggesting that he should be allowed to drill your door and get the lock replaced, that offer should be turned down almost immediately as the chances of him not being a trained locksmith just tripled as a good professional locksmith should know his way around most locks without the need to involve heavy equipment like drills and the likes.
- If your lockout situation happens to be with your car, there are locksmiths specifically for that and they are mostly referred to as roadside assistance, they should be your first point of contact and if they prove to be unhelpful, you are definitely free to contact a locksmith afterward.
Hiring a locksmith is sure not for the fun of it and here is a detailed list of situations in which you might need the help of a locksmith if you don’t have the knowledge of how locks work alongside things to consider before deciding to entrust your locksmithing need to one.
How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – Changing Locks
The cost of changing locks on an average range between $30 to $300 and the irregularity in price can occur mostly due to the type of locks, the fee charged by the locksmith and your level of security. Changing of locks is not an everyday thing as no one would intentionally want to get their lock damaged, lock themselves out or get involved in some other crazy things that will get the lock damaged in no time as that will be an extra cost to them.
However, it is important to consider changing of locks when you move to a new apartment and no matter the kind of security system that is in place, nothing should change your mind about replacing those locks as it might make you vulnerable to robbery and other forms of attacks by the former residents of the apartment. Besides preventing a possible break-in, there are other reasons why you might need to change your locks.
- Getting locked out of your home attracts a locksmithing fee of about $35 to $150 just for the locksmith to leave his workshop and come to you wherever you are while during odd hours like evenings, weekends and on holidays, the service charge can go up to $150 to $250.
- Cloning a key seems like what everyone can afford as it is usually around $1 to $4 for conventional keys while for special keys the charge is about $3 to $20.
- Rekeying of locks ranges from $40 to $100 with an additional fee of $5 to $25 per lock cylinder.
- In the event that you just moved to a new apartment and cash is a problem you can get a locksmith to help you rekey your lock, this should not in any way be confused for lock replacement, this is just a foolproof way of keeping people with the old key out of your business and this locksmithing service is always cheaper than getting the whole lock replaced.
- Installing new locks in your new apartment can cost well around $40 to $100 while labor charge on its own is usually from $20 to $30 per lock.
How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – High Tech Keys & Biometrics
If your reason for wanting to change your lock is due to key misplacement, you should instead consider putting a more secure security system in place. You can opt for Bluetooth, passcode or biometric security. In simple terms, what this means is that you don’t have to bother about carrying a physical key on you at all times which can lead to more cost in maintenance and potential compromise by a tech-savvy friend who knows his way around hacking high tech security systems. Having a high tech security system installed in place of the conventional lock will cost you anywhere around $100 to $500 depending on the type you want and how much work is required to put the system in place.
Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – Locked out of Your Car
If you are a car owner like myself there is a high chance that you have been in a lockout situation at least once or even worse. You lock your car to go about your daily business and just as the door gets jammed you noticed your car keys are still on your seat or in your dashboard. It is always an accidental thing and people with an older car might experience a hard time getting back into their vehicle at such moment as unlike newer car models with a quick release mechanism under the car, older car models have nothing like that and that is when the need to call a locksmith to come to your aid becomes glaring.
An automotive locksmith is trained to open car locks as quickly as possible without causing any form of damage as they have the proper equipment to open the car in minutes and replace the lock if need be. To have your car door unlocked, your fee might range from $30 – $50 depending on how difficult it is to work around the lock whereas if you want the lock to be completely replaced, your fee will be somewhere between $25 and $130 which is dependent on how old your car is and its key type.
Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – If in a Remote Area
In the case that you find yourself in a lockout situation in an environment deemed unsafe due to the fact that there are no towns nor people in sight, it is important for you to stay safe while waiting for a locksmith. Here are some of the tips you can utilize to stay safe while waiting for help;
- Stay out of the dark and move into a place where you can be easily spotted.
- Look busy.
- Make a long call to a friend or significant other.
- Move your valuables to a safe distance.
- Don’t just talk to anyone that comes your way, wait for the locksmith you placed a call to and ensure he shows his credentials before divulging vital information to him.
How Much Does A Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House – Emergency Needs
Knowing how much a locksmith cost to unlock a house should be a critical thing to look at in the time of emergency. Well, you may be too pressured to think about how much Locksmith Cost To Unlock A House because of the situation you are in, but you need to consider that when making preferences.
While most of the lockout situations that will warrant that you get a locksmith to help you unlock your door might be ones you can easily salvage, it is imperative to know that some situations are just out of the blues and they hit you when you least expect them to, which is what brings us to emergency locksmithing services. When in a bad spot as highlighted above or you happen to be in a lockout situation in the middle of the night is when you need to call up a locksmith for an emergency service.
Most locksmiths operate 24/7 just to ensure that they have got you covered during emergencies and they handle your request almost immediately, on the spot, without the need for you to book an appointment for the next day before you get can be sorted. When you call up a locksmith for an emergency service, you can expect to pay around $50 to $600.
Though the fee seems to be on the high side, there are some determinants factored into the pricing. Firstly, if you live in a megacity where the demand for the services of locksmiths is on the high side, there might be a need for you to pay more for their time and expertise. Emergency locksmithing services should not cost a fortune but you might be charged more than what you know to be the average pricing depending on your location, time spent doing the job and the technicality of the fault in question. It is critical to not get emotional when in need of an emergency service as that might be used against you and you might be charged triple the normal price, so, it is essential to still be yourself while employing the services of a locksmith, you can beat yourself up later in your room.