Average locksmith rates and average locksmith cost in the USA in 2018 – A locksmith makes keys. They also open, repair and install locks. The locksmith’s knowledge about diverse locking mechanisms including combination locks must be vast.
Based on the individual preference, professionals in this field may choose to work for a locksmith company, hardware store or even self-employed. The average annual salary for a locksmith several years ago was between $27,562 and $45,623, that is, according to PayScale.
Among these categories of locksmiths, the self-employed, are usually the highest paid professionals in the field. With their yearly salary ranging between $25,434 and $98,264, those working for a local or state government earn salaries between $27,122 and $40,976. While the salary for a government locksmith has a higher amount on the low-end of the range the potential for self-employed locksmiths is much higher, this is all according to PayScale.
Cost Of Labor
Tendency to overlook the cost of labor is one thing that people do unconsciously. This though, is an important factor for consideration when trying to sum up how much a locksmith costs. Most times, the cost of labor, complexity of the job and the length of the job all goes hand in hand. It is important to realize that the type of labor necessary, and its cost, will change depending on which service is needed.
To be more clear, labor charges depends on whether or not you need the service of an automotive, residential or commercial locksmith. This means that when you answer ‘how much does a locksmith cost’, the answer varies depending on the service rendered.
Average Rates to Hire a Locksmith
The average cost to hire a locksmith is $181 and though majority of people who required the services of professional locksmiths reported to paying between $143 and $199, the lowest reported cost to hire a locksmith is $59, while the highest price for locksmith services is $300. The cost to hire a locksmith also depends on factors like, whether you’re in need of emergency service or there are difficult circumstances like hazardous weather in the area.
Automotive Locksmith Rates
- Car Lockout Services – As mentioned above, you should always start with the base price. Generally, the locksmith cost for a car lockout starts at $35 and can go up from there. This price though, depends on the locksmith and the nature of the lockout. Car lockout services are the general term for people who need assistance as they have been locked out of their vehicles. This may be due to forgetting the keys in the trunk, or simply losing the car keys.
- Car Key Replacement – It is important to note that for car key replacement you need to have a new key made. The locksmith cost of making a new car key usually starts at $120 for most locksmiths. Although it may increase later on, this depends on if there are additional services required.
- Car Key Cutting – This can be carried out in various methods, just that the method used is what determines the final cost. Car cutting can be done by making use of an existing key or by cutting the key to code. The latter takes much longer, but can still be done conveniently by an experienced locksmith. Car key cutting is almost the same as car key replacement and will start at roughly $120, depending on whether you have an existing key or not.
- Car Key Duplication – This has a wider range than the services listed above. The cost of duplicating a key can either be as low as $2 or upwards of $120. All of this depends on the key type that you need to have duplicated. If your car key is the traditional type then it requires only basic duplication, and that will be within the price range of $2. But, if you have a transponder key, its duplication costs from a locksmith will start at $120.
- Key Fob Replacement – Now, this is almost the same as car key replacement, the difference is just that you might have to do some additional programming. This is to make sure that your key fob replacement is compatible and functions properly with your automobile. The charges for this service ranges between $90 and $120, for different locksmiths. Always note that these costs do not include programming costs. Once the talk about programming the key starts, then know that the locksmith cost will increase slightly.
- Transponder Key Programming – Most cars these days make use of transponder keys. It is an added security method to protect your vehicle. Most times, a transponder key is paired to a specific vehicle, thus some duplicate keys or replacement keys have to be programmed before they function properly. The total locksmith cost to program a transponder key runs up to $120. This is as a result of the additional services that usually come with it. There are locksmiths who charge between $30 and $75 for the programming only, though. However, since this service rarely happens on its own, the cost is usually upwards of $120.
- Car Key Extraction – This service is normally needed when a car key breaks off in a lock or in the ignition of a vehicle. This is a lot more complicated than it actually sounds, but to the experienced locksmith, it is quite a simple task to accomplish. The car key extraction costs normally starts at $65 and go up from there, depending on the complexity of the extraction of course. Extraction varies in its severity. There might be cases where the broken piece of the car key can be easily removed, and some might take a bit more work.
- Ignition Replacement and Repair – This is the general term for ignition cylinder replacement and ignition switch replacement services. These jobs, dealing with the ignition of a vehicle, are very complicated and it is not suggested that you attempt to DIY your way out of this (unless of course, you are confident in your abilities). The locksmith cost for this service starts at $95, and it is also depending on how much work you need to be done and your vehicle model.
Residential Average Locksmith Rates
- House Lockout Services – Per chance you know of someone who has been locked out of their house before, or maybe it has happened to you. A house lockout is a very common occurrence which locksmiths deal with on a regular basis. The charge for this service typically starts at $35. The price for this service might increase though, and this normally depends on whether the lockout calls for additional work to be done.
- Lock Changes – This usually happens when a homeowner wants to replace an irreparable damaged lock, or when they need an upgrade for their locks. This is a common occurrence and costs about the same as a new lock installation. A typical lock change starts at $35.
- New Lock Installation – homeowners may want to secure new doors, and then it is a formality to ensure that the door and the lock to be used are compatible. A new lock installation begins at $35, but then if the homeowner is buying new locks from the locksmith as well, automatically, it can cost more.
- Smart Lock Installation – Smart locks are commonly used by homeowners widely homes these days. Though it is similar to new lock installation, but usually, requires some additional work to be done with the door that it is being installed on. Many smart locks have specific requirements though, and this may lead to a more than regular price for a lock installation. However, the price usually starts at $35.
- Rekeying Locks – Lock rekeying sounds slightly complicated, but it is also self-revealing. The lock is being re-fitted to work with a different key or sets of keys. In the hands of an experienced locksmith, this can be handled conveniently, but if handled by a not so skilled person, then it might take much longer. The rekeying process generally starts at $19.
- Damaged Lock Repair – Sometimes, a lock might not need a replacement as it can be repaired and salvaged. This is, of course, a very cost-effective method as it allows homeowners to still make use of their old locks. It is noteworthy that not every damaged lock can be repaired. As locks are prone to damage over time, or even when they are exposed to excessive force. This service price ranges between $19 and $35 depending on the extent of the damage that the locksmith will have to rectify.
- Broken Key Extraction –this can sometimes be viewed as two jobs in one, as sometimes a broken key extraction also means a lockout, the need to have new keys made and as well as having a lock fixed. Some people get lucky and the only service that they need is the extraction. Broken key extraction starts at $35, but can sometimes move upwards to $75 and even above. This is solely because of the additional cost of other services.
- Repair Window Locks – These are another aspect of locks that locksmiths deal with on a regular basis. The process is the counterpart to damaged lock repair and so, takes about the same amount of time to complete (depending on the complexity of the lock). The price ranges between $19 and $35.
- Residential Safe Lockouts – Safes have now become consistent in homes. This is so, as they are used to secure a variety of valuables. Unfortunately, as with the case with anything that can be locked, people tend to have a problem getting back in. This could be as a result of the locking mechanism being damaged or even due to key loss. Safes are no different, which is why residential locksmiths are well versed in helping homeowners gain access to their residential safes. The cost of this starts at $65 and may increase; this depends on the model of the safe and the nature of the lockout.
Commercial Average Locksmith Rates Services
- Office Lockouts – As with homes and cars, an office lockout is also a common occurrence. People may forget their keys, or locks might simply end up being damaged. For no reason, a locksmith should be able to help you regain entry into your office without any hassle. The cost for office lockouts starts at $35.
- Installing New Commercial Door Locks – This is usually requested when a business wants to upgrade their locks or repair damaged ones. It is a necessary process to carry out for new business complexes that need locks on their offices and units. With $35, the cost of new commercial door locks installation is achievable. And if the customer is getting the door locks from a locksmith or 3rd party, then the price may increase
- Commercial Safe Lockout – the commercial and residential safe may be a bit similar, but there are distinct differences setting them apart. This is why commercial safes exist and the reason why there is a locksmith service that caters to safe lockouts and other related problems. In addition to the service call fee of $15, a commercial safe lockout begins at $65.
Conclusion on Average Locksmith Rates
While dealing with locksmiths, always try to keep an open mind. The nature of their work dictates that the prices will never be fixed, reason you have to iron out every aspect of the job beforehand. Even then there is a chance that things could change. The article above is meant to serve as a guideline to answer the question ‘how much does a locksmith cost’ and to keep you in check in having the knowledge of average locksmith rates around you, and it should give you some insight into locksmith pricing.
It is safe to note that if you’re out on the road and you accidentally lock yourself out of your car, you definitely have to pay an additional mileage fee. Some insurance companies and roadside assistance plans offer free or low cost locksmith services if you choose from a list of participating providers. You might want to inquire from your insurer to check you’re your benefits are before hiring a locksmith on your own.
Also note that the price survey is only an indicator of charges and is not necessarily a pricing poll. Dollar amounts listed should not be used directly as the price you should be charging for various jobs. Regional cost of living, typical distance traveled for a service call, and the charges of your local competitors, are all factors that should be taken into consideration before fixing price schedule. A few locksmiths are even reported to charge higher fees after hours or when they must have driven long distances.